Reconnect With Your Why: An Often Overlooked Business Planning Strategy
When you’re first starting out in business, saying yes to whoever wants to give you money becomes the norm. My husband refers to it as financial anxiety; you can get lost in the day to day operating and managing, saying yes when you should decline, just in case the cash stops flowing. When you finally get home, the kids are in bed, your dinners cold and you look for solace in front of the TV. Eat,
Sleep, Work, Repeat! Sound familiar? It can be a real downer; you can quickly spiral into a black hole when you become reactive rather than proactive.
Why did you start your business?
Reconnecting with why you started your business will help you refocus on what you wanted to get out of the business, and start planning for future growth. Remember, business exists to sever the needs of the business owner. You own the business, the business doesn't (or shouldn't) own you!
Reconnecting with your why can reinvigorate your passion for what you do, rediscover your personal life goals and get you back to running your small business successfully (and not feel like it's a ball and chain weighing you down). Reconnecting with the why of your business gives you clarity.
When you have a clear purpose and clarity you are driven to make changes in your business; to plan for business growth and achieve your goals.
Benefits of reconnecting with your "why"
- You won't be wasting your time on futile things that have no reward and contribute to the overwhelming stress of running a small business.
- You will find a growing sense of gratification, yes, you can pat yourself on the shoulder if no one else does it for you, even give yourself a high 5 and a toot toot!
- You will be able to enjoy (and celebrate) the small wins and rebuild your build confidence.
- Clarity helps keep your morale high and creates positivity because you'll know what you need to do, you'll have a path to follow.
- Clarity creates a better understanding of what your business does, why it exists, and builds business integrity.
- You become focused on building a specialist business for your target customer, not trying to serve everyone (which never works).
- Clarity helps you connect your business with your life goals.
Reconnecting with you why builds trust. Trust in your own ability to deliver on your own expectations. No one else is going to be there cracking the whip, you need to back yourself 100%.
Set the vision and trust in your own abilities to get the job done.
Get the Business Planning Starter Kit
An easy-to-use toolkit for small business owners who want to plan, track, and measure their goals and grow their business.